Sunday, July 10

Greek Salad

Going to a new place seems to increase your tendency to cook their style of food. Either that or I just wish we were back in Greece so I try my hand at Greek food more often than not!
I had a few Greek salads while we were in Greece, they were not much like the ones you find in America. I'm sure there are those "Americanized" restaurants that you could find your typical salad in but after having an authentic Greek Salad, I'm not sure we know what we are doing when we make salad here. We seem to lack substance and add a lot of "fluff" lettuce! Okay, I'm not going to diss lettuce, because I for one have had some dang good salads with the stuff but you must try a Greek salad at least one time in your life!
With all the WONDERFUL produce that is coming from gardens I have been blessed with tons from my father-in-law, some from friends, and some from the farmers market. All, of course, much better than anything you can buy at a typical grocery store. When your fridge is full of it, you have to find recipes that use it up because I am under the impression that the preserved version isn't quite as good as the fresh! Greek salads are basically a load of veggies tossed together with some good olive oil dressing and what a better time to make a big batch. Not to mention I have discovered that feta doesn't give me lactose intolerant symptoms, I have been in love with it since.
This version of Greek Salad has probably more different veggies than your typical fair however the flavors resemble Greece so much, you will feel like your sitting seaside in Santorini!

Greek Salad
recipe thanks to me!

Ingredients:
for the dressing:
1/4 c kefir
1/4 c olive oil
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic
2 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
for the salad:
1 bunch of asparagus
2 regular sized zucchini and yellow squash
2 decent sized tomatoes
1 purple onion
feta for top

Directions-
1. Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
2. Chop up your veggies into bite sized pieces.
3. Toss together the dressing and veggies.
4. Sprinkle with feta.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may enjoy these as well...

Related Posts with Thumbnails